Re: [Xen-devel] Current PVH/HVMlite work and planning (was :Re: Discussion about virtual iommu support for Xen guest)

On Fri, Jun 03, 2016 at 11:21:20AM +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:
> [...]

I haven't looked into much detail regarding all this, since as I said, it's
still a little bit far away in the PVH/HVMlite roadmap, we have more
pressing issues to solve before getting to the point of implementing
PCI-passthrough. I expect Xen is going to intercept all PCI accesses and is
then going to forward them to the ioreq servers that have been registered
for that specific config space, but this of course needs much more thought
and a proper design document.

> As I just wrote in another mail, if we just hit for HVM first, will it work if
> we implement vIOMMU in Xen but still relies on Qemu root complex to
> report to the guest?

This seems quite inefficient IMHO (but I don't know that much about all this
vIOMMU stuff). If you implement vIOMMU inside of Xen, but the PCI root
complex is inside of Qemu aren't you going to perform quite a lot of jumps
between Xen and QEMU just to access the vIOMMU?

I expect something like:

Xen traps PCI access -> QEMU -> Xen vIOMMU implementation

Roger.