Re: [Xen-devel] pcie error containment: kill domain and dm without xend

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 9:16 PM, Elena Ufimtseva <ufimtseva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am working on PCIe errors containment and XSA-124 relevant problem.
> This is only small part of the problem and I can provide more details later
> if that is of someone's interest.
> As the temporary solution, guest domain with passthrough device
> without SRIOV  gets killed when certain AER errors are triggered by
> dom0 AER code.
> In versions of xen with xend present, xenwatch can be used and pciback can
> write some fields to xenstore (as "aerfail" which is already present)
> and destroy device model and then domain itself.
> What would be the best way to initiate similar behaviour when xend is
> not used? Or maybe what is the best way to initiate device model
> destruction and domain itself without xend?

xl forks a background process per VM to monitor VMs and destroy device
models at the appropriate times -- see
tools/xl_cmdimpl.c:create_domain() (and in particular search for
"need_daemon").  This is the place to implement VM-watching features
such as xend had.

 -George