Re: [Xen-devel] [DRAFT 1] XenSock protocol design document

On 08/07/16 12:23, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> XenSocks provides the following benefits:
> * guest networking works out of the box with VPNs, wireless networks and
>   any other complex configurations on the host

Only in the trivial case where the host only has one external network.
Otherwise, you are going to have to have some sort of configuration to
keep guest traffic isolated from the management or storage network (for
example).

> * guest services listen on ports bound directly to the backend domain IP
>   addresses

I think this could be done with SDN but I'm no expert on this area.

> * localhost becomes a secure namespace for intra-VMs communications

I presume you mean "inter-VM" communication here?  This is already
achievable with a private bridged network for VMs on a host.

> * full visibility of the guest behavior on the backend domain, allowing
>   for inexpensive filtering and manipulation of any guest calls

There's many existing solutions in this space for networking.

> * excellent performance

netback/netfront is pretty good now and further improvements to them
would have wider benefits.

David