Re: [Xen-devel] live migrating hvm from 4.4 to 4.5 fails due to kvmvapic

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016, Olaf Hering wrote:
> As a followup to the issue below, and the one which "just" popped in in
> qemu-2.6+:
>
> Why is the machine description for xen not fixed?

xenfv comes from a time when QEMU didn't have machine description
versioning. To have versioning, it is possible to use a regular PC
machine plus accel=xen. I tried to change the libxl default from xenfv
to a versioned pc machine with accel=xen a couple of years back, but
unfortunately it created ABI incompatibilities, see:

http://marc.info/?i=alpine.DEB.2.02.1406121512360.13771%40kaball.uk.xensource.com

> Shouldnt the be some sort of verification of old and new 'xenfv' when a
> new qemu rc1 is done?

It would be great to have

> Is there a way to dump the machine description in text form?

I don't know, but people at qemu-devel might.