Re: [Xen-devel] Device model operation hypercall (DMOP, re qemu depriv)

Jan Beulich writes ("Re: Device model operation hypercall (DMOP, re qemu
depriv)"):
> Actually, having thought about this some more, and taking this
> together with the expectations to the privcmd driver previously
> outlined, I think this part is problematic: If all the driver is to know
> is the position (within the interface structure) of the target domain
> ID, then any guest handles embedded in the interface structure
> (XEN_HVMCTL_track_dirty_vram only for now) couldn't get
> validated, and hence user mode code would have a way to access
> or modify kernel memory.

Could the hypervisor know the difference between user and kernel
memory, in principle ?

Alternatively, would it be possible for the ABI to specify somehow
what parameters are guest handles, so that the privcmd driver could
check them ?  (Would it be sufficient to check the starts, or would
the ends need to be checked too?)

Ian.