[Xen-devel] xen/xen vs xen/kvm nesting with pv drivers

I tried to install Xen (4.7.0 with linux 4.7.2 Dom0) on an AWS virtual machine
and it failed because while AWS uses Xen it requires that you use the PVHVM
network driver. I then tried to install Xen on a Google Cloud virtual machine
and despite also requiring you to use PV drivers, that succeeded because Google
Cloud uses KVM.

I think this means that if you nest Xen in KVM you can use high performance
drivers, but if you nest Xen in Xen you have to use slower drivers, which seems
to be the wrong way around!

I'd like to be able to install Xen on an AWS virtual machine, and wondered what
are the challenges to getting the pv drivers working in a nested environment.
Is this a problem with the Dom0 kernel only expecting there to be a single
XenStore, or is there also a problem in Xen?

Thanks,

Anthony Wright