Re: [Xen-devel] New Outreachy Applicant

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 3:23 PM, George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for this -- if you're up for it, let me see what kinds of next
> steps you can do (obviously when you have the opportunity).

So there are a couple of things we could do next.

* If you want a simple change that you can use to get experience with
sending patches to the list:

There are a number of instances in tools/libxl/xl_cmdimpl.c where
where domid is listed as uint32_t (or libxl_domid), but the printf
specifier is used as '%d'.  Change this to '%u'.

* If you want an investigation to do:

At least a couple of times I've accidentally run a golang program with
libxl functionality on a system that wasn't running Xen (i.e., I'd
rebooted onto Linux baremetal).  Instead of throwing an error, as you
would expect, it crashed with a SEGV.

Try to reproduce this bug, and see if you can fix it.

* If you want to dive into the project:

I can send you my most recent version of libxl.go (which has a few
more things implemented).  Modify it so that it builds as a package (I
think "xenproject.org/xenlight" is probably the best name), and wire
it into the build system in tools/golang/xenlight, and installs into
$prefix/share/gocode/src/xenproject.org/.

The key thing with the last one is not to get too bogged down in
systems you're not familiar with -- if you get stuck ask for help
relatively quickly; and if it's turning into a mess, I can just do the
Makefile side of things so that you can get to the actual Go side of
the project.

What do you think?

 -George