[Xen-devel] Modifying netback.c to produce logs

  • To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: #PATHANGI JANARDHANAN JATINSHRAVAN# <JATINSHR001@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 15:28:34 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 15:53:20 +0000

Hi,
I’ve been playing around with the netback.c file in order to produce some log statements with dimes to better understand when each function in the file is called and I was having some trouble actually getting them to show up. I’ve written log statements in the following functions using the printk function at the beginning of each function below:

1.xenvif_rx_meta *get_next_rx_buffer()

2.void xenvif_rx_action()

3.int xenvif_tx_submit()

4.void xenvif_wait_for_rx_work()

5.int xenvif_kthread_guest_rx()

The I’ve not actually been able to see the log statements using dmesg at all. I’ve inserted the en_netback module in the kernel and checked that it is being used by the VM with the command lsmod | grep xen_netback.

I’ve booted up my virtual machine, and run a simple client server socket program in localhost within the VM and still not seen a single log message from the netback.c file being printed.

Can someone please advise me on where I can possibly insert log statements or how I can use the VM to invoke the netback.c functions?

Thanks,

Jatin