Re: [Xen-devel] Modifying netback.c to produce logs

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 03:58:34PM +0000, #PATHANGI JANARDHANAN
JATINSHRAVAN# wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been playing around with the netback.c file in order to produce
> some log statements with dimes to better understand when each function
> in the file is called and I was having some trouble actually getting
> them to show up. I've written log statements in the following
> functions using the printk function at the beginning of each function
> below:
>
> 1.xenvif_rx_meta *get_next_rx_buffer()
>
> 2.void xenvif_rx_action()
>
> 3.int xenvif_tx_submit()
>
> 4.void xenvif_wait_for_rx_work()
>
> 5.int xenvif_kthread_guest_rx()
>
> The I've not actually been able to see the log statements using dmesg
> at all. I've inserted the en_netback module in the kernel and checked
> that it is being used by the VM with the command lsmod | grep
> xen_netback.
>
> I've booted up my virtual machine, and run a simple client server
> socket program in localhost within the VM and still not seen a single
> log message from the netback.c file being printed.

Make sure traffic leaves your VM, otherwise netback is not in the path.
My understanding from you description is that you run both client and
server in the VM, which means the traffic probably never reaches
netback.

You can try to run the server in Dom0 and client in DomU.

Wei.