Re: [Xen-devel] Livepatch for Xen 4.9

On 10/03/2016 03:16 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
Hey!

[CC-ing xen-devel]

Xen 4.8-rc1 is out and means taking a break from some of the Livepatch
hypervisor
parts for me.

Thanks for all the work you put in!

My plan for 4.8 is to concentrate on any livepatch fallout and doing OSSTest
along
with Marcos (CC-ed) and see if we can wrestle it to expand on what
we want to have done.

However going forward (Xen 4.9) I believe the top issues we need
to get addressed are:

 a) "A better mechanism to "mask" NMIs during patching. The existing mechanism
looses
   NMI if they have been sent and we don't have a mechanism to replay them.
Note that
   this is also fixes alternative section patching. Could (like Linux) annotate
handlers don't get patched."
   (https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/LivePatch).
 b) Restart the shrinking of code using__LINE__
 c) When figuring out the new_addr, take into account name being
<symbol>+<offset>.
 d) Make asm code be in its own section. That eases the livepatch tools work in
figuring out a change.
    See https://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/24/364
 e) ?

 g) Make XENPF_get_symbol also include Live Patch symbols.

I was wondering if folks could put in their preference and what they are
thinking
to work on during 4.9?

I'm going to try implement signature verification of livepatch modules. The bits for signing modules are already in livepatch-build-tools, so it just requires the hypervisor to verify the signature. How hard can that be? :-)

Also I was thinking we can drop the IRC meeting we have setup. It has been
quite useful during the
starting stage to re-sync patches but at this point I think emails are more
suited?

Sure.

--
Ross Lagerwall