[Xen-devel] [Fwd: Re: Wondering about cirris and stdvga]

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wondering about cirris and stdvga
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 13:32:24 -0500
Mailer: Mutt/1.7.1 (2016-10-04)

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 06:08:57PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Dario Faggioli writes ("Wondering about cirris and stdvga"):
> >
> > I've also read around that these days, e.g., stdvga is at least as
> > good
> > as cirrus,
>
> You pasted a url in IRC which seemed to be arguing that but actually
> failed to make the case.  (Sorry, don't have it to hand now.)

This one?
https://www.kraxel.org/blog/2014/10/qemu-using-cirrus-considered-harmfu
l/

> > performance wise, that cirrus is broken and impossible to
> > fix (because it is the hardware that it's emulating that was
> > broken),
> > that stdvga enables better screen resolution in guests, etc.
>
> The "broken and impossible to fix" sounds like FUD TBH.
>
> I wouldn't want to change the default just because Wayland is broken.
> Wayland should be fixed.

CCing Adam Jackson who I hope can enlighten us on the technical
parts of Xorg.

I am really interested in knowing the technical merits
of the stdvga vs cirrus and I hope to understand what the Xorg
maintainer(s) have in mind.