Re: [Xen-devel] Can't always start 32 bit domains after 64 bit domains

On Mon, 2016-11-21 at 11:37 -0800, Sarah Newman wrote:
> On 11/21/2016 05:21 AM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> > I suspect that libxl's preference towards NUMA allocation of
> > domains
> > interferes with this, by adding a NUMA constraints to memory
> > allocations
> > for 64bit PV guests.
>
> I ran xl info -n (which I didn't know about before) and that shows
> the problem much more clearly.
>
> If that's the reason not all the higher memory is being used first:
> is a potential workaround to pin 64 bit domains to the second
> physical core on
> boot, and 32 bit domains to the first physical core on boot, and then
> change the allowed cores with 'xl vcpu-pin' after the domain is
> loaded?

If you're looking for a way to disable libxl's NUMA-aware domain
placement --which does indeed interfere whit what memory (as in, the
memory of what NUMA node) is going to be used for the domains-- you can
"just" specify this, in all the domains' config files:

cpus="all"

This will leave all the vcpus free to run everywhere, and stop libxl to
pass down to Xen any hint on memory allocation.

Using

cpus="foo"

and/or

cpus_soft="bar"

would allow to tweak things more.

And the same is true for creating cpupools, with specific cpus from
specific NUMA nodes in them, and creating the domain direcly inside
those various pools.

That being said, what values are the best for your use case, I'm not
really sure... But maybe have a look at this.

Some more info:
https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_on_NUMA_Machines
https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_4.3_NUMA_Aware_Scheduling
https://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Tuning_Xen_for_Performance#vCPU_Soft_Affinity_for_guests