Re: [Xen-devel] Xen ARM small task (WAS: Re: [Xen Question])

Hi Edgar,

On 23/11/16 16:38, Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:
On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 06:26:06PM +0200, Artem Mygaiev wrote:
On 23.11.16 17:19, Julien Grall wrote:
There is a couple of usecase where we cannot use PV console:
    - Running unmodified baremetal application as guest. Those
applications will not have PV driver.
Well, I somehow missed that requirement is to run *unmodified*
applications... I think it will be pretty hard to provide all the HW
infrastructure expected and UARTs as I know them have all possible
issues & workarounds.

Hi Artem,

The way I see this is not for Xen to provide support for any HW for any
platform on all platforms.

The way I see it is that on a given platform, for example the ZynqMP.
You can run Xen as a partitioning Hypervisor essentially using device
passthrough to assign various real HW devices to each VM.

The various guests can run unmodified because they each see a subset
of the platform.

It is useful to have vuarts that go are shared into a single one.

To expand on the vuart, this is a small emulator to handle write from a guest. This was originally designed to handle DOM0 early console that is hardcoded on ARM32.

As mentioned by Artem, read would be more complex as it will mean per-UART emulator. IIRC, this would not be a problem for you, right?

Regards,

--
Julien Grall