Re: [Xen-devel] [DOC RFC] Heterogeneous Multi Processing Support in Xen

>> > ### x86
>> >
>> > There is no HMP platform of relevance, for now, in x86 world.
>> > Therefore,
>> > only one class will exist, and all the CPUs will be set to belong
>> > to it.
>> > **TODO X86:** is this correct?
>>
>> What about the original Xeon Phi (on a PCIe card)?
>>
> Well, what I'd say about it is that I did not know about its existence.
> :-)
>
> Anyway, if we have HMP on x86 already, and we want to support them,
> we'll have to define criteria for building classes there too. Once that
> is done, the rest of this document should be general enough (or at
> least that was the intent).
>
> About defining those criteria, I'd appreciate whatever input you x86
> experts will be able to share. :-)

Well, the obvious part of the classification would be differences
in CPUID output - vendor, family, model, stepping, feature flags.
I'm not currently aware of ways to identify differing performance,
but I'm also unaware of systems built with CPUs varying in e.g.
clock speeds.

Jan