Re: [Xen-devel] Issue while bringing up libvirtd.service

On Thu, 2016-12-08 at 01:11 +0530, Praveen Kumar wrote:
> Hi,

Hey,

> I am new in Xen environment and trying to get VMs running with the
> build xen code base.
>
> But, am facing issue bringing up the libvirt deamon. I have installed
> latest unstable xen ( 4.9 ).
> There seems to be a conflict in library version and because of which
> I am getting below error :
> Dec 08 00:44:43 kpraveen.labs.blr.novell.com libvirtd[14603]: Unable
> to configure libxl's memory management parameters
> Dec 08 00:44:43 kpraveen.labs.blr.novell.com libvirtd[14603]:
> Initialization of LIBXL state driver failed: no error
> Dec 08 00:44:43 kpraveen.labs.blr.novell.com libvirtd[14603]: Driver
> state initialization failed

What distribution is this? In any case, if you are installing Xen
(staging / 4.9) from the sources, and then installing libvirt's
packages from the distro, that would not work.

In fact, most likely, libvirt packages will bring in as a dependency
the version of Xen hypervisor and toolstack that is also packaged by
the distro. At which point, you have two Xen environments installed in
the same host, which is asking for trouble.

> I found that we have xen-libs of different version which is 4.7, but
> don't know if that is the root cause and how to upgrade that. As
> suggested, I have also rebuild xen tree and tried reinstalling, but
> the issue persists.

Yep, here it is the version mismatch and double environment issue I was
talking about.

> Any guidance will be very much helpful to resolve this problem .
> Also, wanted to know, what others follow as best practices when there
> is a version change or if hit the similar problem.
> Just FYI, I am following https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Compiling_X
> en_From_Source link for compiling and installing xen.

So, if you are able to build and install Xen from sources, you should,
as a first step, verify that everything is working by creating a VM
using the XL toolstack (`man xl', look at examples, search XL on our
Wiki, etc).

If you want to use libvirt, I don't think you have much alternative
than building libvirt from sources as well. If I want to test or do
some libvirt development on upstream Xen, that is what I do, FWIW.

Regards,
Dario