[Xen-devel] tool stack tool chain dependencies (again)

Hello,

especially some of the changes late in the 4.8 cycle have caused me
to spend a good part of the morning trying to figure out how to build
the tool stack on an older system. Among other things I've run into
- ipxe all of the sudden not working with make 3.80 anymore (despite
  apparent attempts to do so in their Makefile)
- ipxe not working with gas prior to 2.18 anymore (requiring the
  .reloc directive)
- rombios causing ld to segfault when building with debug=y (later
  findings suggest this may be because overriding CC in ./.config
  works, but doing so for e.g. AS and LD doesn't affect namely
  the tools/firmware/ subtrees)
- -O0 causing fallout with an admittedly questionable sys/stat.h
None of this was a problem with an early October build.

I think we really need two things here: One is that I think we should
bump our minimal required tool chain component versions, or
alternatively have tools/configure properly disable sub-components
(taking into account overrides from ./.config) - I certainly could live
with qemu-trad being disabled on such old systems, but otoh
upstream qemu in the past has proven to not be much better, and
it would be of questionable use if both got disabled. The other is
that I think we should actually make sure things build with those
versions.

Jan