Re: [Xen-devel] [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/7] Move accel, KVM, Xen, qtest files to accel/ subdir

On 20.12.2016 18:43, Eduardo Habkost wrote:
> This moves the KVM and Xen files to the an accel/ subdir.
>
> Instead of moving the *-stubs.c file to accel/ as-is, I tried to
> move most of the stub code to libqemustub.a. This way the obj-y
> logic for accel/ is simpler: obj-y includes accel/ only if
> CONFIG_SOFTMMU is set.
>
> The Xen stubs could be moved completely to stubs/, but some of
> the KVM stubs depend on cpu.h. So most of the kvm-stub.c code was
> moved to stubs/kvm.c, but some of that code was kept in
> accel/kvm-stub.c.

Thanks for cleaning this up!

> About other CONFIG_SOFTMMU top-level files:
>
> I would like to know what we should do with the top-level
> CONFIG_SOFTMMU-only files that don't belong to hw/. Some
> candidates: arch_init.c cpus.c monitor.c gdbstub.c balloon.c
> ioport.c bootdevice.c memory.c cputlb.c memory_mapping.c dump.c.

arch_init.c is a potpourri of various topics, I think we should rather
split this file up and move the parts to other (new?) files, e.g. the
sound specific parts to the audio/ directory.

I think somebody (Paolo?) also suggested a monitor/ directory already,
so monitor.c and gdbstub.c could go into that directory?

> Maybe a sysemu/ subdir? In that case, should we still create an
> accel/ subdir, or move xen-*, kvm-* and friends to sysemu/ too?

IMHO the separate accel/ directory is fine. After your patch series,
there are already quite a bunch of files in it, and if Stefan Weil is
right, we'll soon get acceleration for Windows and macOS, too, so the
separate directory is justified.

 Thomas