Re: [Xen-devel] elbling1 (was Re: [xen-unstable test] 103788: regressions - trouble: broken/fail/pass)

On 22/12/16 10:45, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 22.12.16 at 11:28, <ian.jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
osstest service owner writes ("[xen-unstable test] 103788: regressions -
trouble: broken/fail/pass"):
flight 103788 xen-unstable real [real]
http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/logs/103788/

Regressions :-(

Tests which did not succeed and are blocking,
including tests which could not be run:
  test-amd64-amd64-libvirt-xsm  3 host-install(3) broken REGR. vs. 103466
elbling1 had forgotten its boot order.  I found it at an initramfs
prompt, unable to find its own hard disk.  I think this was after
http://logs.test-lab.xenproject.org/osstest/logs/103764/test-amd64-amd64-xl-x
sm/info.html
(the last xen-boot failure before it started giving host-install
failures).
Hmm, that one has a bunch of

Dec 20 13:30:00.237953 Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ...   Volume group
"elbling1-vg" not found
Dec 20 13:30:00.397968   Skipping volume group elbling1-vg
Dec 20 13:30:00.398003 Unable to find LVM volume elbling1-vg/root

which I would suspect were the cause of the xen-boot failure.

As I'm unaware of systems outside the osstest pool having this
"forgets its boot order" problem (does e.g. XenRT know similar
problems?)

No. No similar problems I am aware of anywhere in XenRT (which haven't ended up being down to human intervention in the firmware)

, I wonder whether either the physical machine setup
is (somewhat) unusual for some or all of the machines, or
whether there's something being run which with not too small a
likelihood causes the problem (and it being run often enough
simply guarantees the problem to surface every once in a while).

Is anything playing with EFI variables? This seems like the most likely option.

~Andrew