Re: [Xen-devel] [xl restore and migrating problem - hardware compatibility]

On 23/12/16 22:56, Ing. Ricardo Brisighelli wrote:
El Vie 23 Dic 2016 17:16:32 Andrew Cooper escribió:
On 23/12/16 17:00, Andrew Cooper wrote:
On 23/12/16 16:32, Ing. Ricardo Brisighelli wrote:
Hi, i'm gentoo user and try with xen 4.6.3 and 4.7.1 in both version
have the
same problem.

My cpu is AMD A10-7860K
This issue has been reported before ("[Xen-devel] "X86_PV_VCPU_MSRS
record truncated" during domain restore").

I submitted patches to fix it ("Fix issues with zero-length records in
migration v2" in July even), which made no progress. As the author of
migration v2, and unfortunately of this bug, I stand by v1 of my fix
without any further modification.

You can find the patches here:
https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=people/andrewcoop/xen.git;a=shortlog;h=r
efs/heads/tools-fix-zero-length-records
If you don't want to take patches, you should be able to work around the
issue by booting Xen with

cpuid_mask_ext_ecx=fbffffff

Specifically, you are looking to hide the DBEXT feature from Xen so it
doesn't choose to insert them into the migration stream to start with.
This migration bug only manifests when the hardware is capable, but the
VM isn't using the feature.

~Andrew
Hi Andrew, first i try boot xen with cpuid_mask_ext_ecx=fbffffff, restore and
migration works well, then try apply the patchs

tools/python: Adjust migration v2 library to warn about...
tools/libxc: Avoid generating inappropriate zero-length...
tools/libxc: Tolerate zero-length records in migration...

remove cpuid_mask, recompile and install xen-4.7.1, reboot and the problem
persist. I'm missing something?

Does Gentoo split the various parts of Xen apart into sub-packages? This needs to be the dom0 tools build, not the hypervisor build.

~Andrew