Re: [Xen-devel] blank screen VGA or Serial while linux boot

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 03:17:20PM +0100, Daniele Palumbo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for bothering, I am following
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Serial_Console
> and
> http://www-archive.xenproject.org/files/xensummit_4/xensummit_linux_console_slides.pdf
>
> And as written in
> https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/XenParavirtOps
> Here i am writing.
>
> My goal is to have the same console output on VGA and internal serial port.
>
> I am on gentoo, with Xen 4.6.4, custom kernel.
> My kernel config is in attachment.
>
> Test hardware is a Sun x4150, with ILOm.
> Serial speed is set to 9600 bps, with console redirection (so all of the BIOS
> messages are shown).
>
> See an example of my output in attachment (serial_out.txt), with the
> following settings:
> GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"
> GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --speed=9600 --unit=1 --word=8 --parity=no
> --stop=1"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=9600,8n1 console=com1,vga"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="xencons=xvc console=xvc0 console=hvc0 console=tty1
> earlyprintk=xen nomodeset"

You can remove the 'xencons' and 'console=xvc0'

> full grub.cfg in attachment.
>

> As by the logs I am able to see the same terminal from BIOS to the XEN
> multiboot.
> With xen multiboot i mean messages starting with
> "(XEN) "
> e.g.:
> (XEN) Video information:Gentoo GNU/Linux (with Xen hypervisor)
> (XEN)  VGA is text mode 80x25, font 8x16
>
> I am not able to get the same message across serial _AND_ vga terminal upon
> boot,
> AFTER the xen multiboot.
>
> With earlyprintk=xen i see also linux messages starting with
> "[    0.000000] "
> e.g., last line seen is
> [    0.000000] Memory: 925860K/2097148K available (5475K kernel code, 570K
> rwdata, 2344K rodata, 992K init, 1
>
> After that, i can always see the login prompt in both serial and VGA output.
>

> About grub config, the basic stuff in /etc/default/grub is:
> """
> GRUB_TERMINAL="console serial"
> GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND="serial --speed=9600 --unit=1 --word=8 --parity=no
> --stop=1"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all com1=9600,8n1 console=com1,vga"
> """
>
> nomodeset is not helping.
>
> Seems like hvc0 contains only serial messages.

Right, that is what you should see on the iLOM.

> Seems also that setting 2 console in linux module would have exclusive access.
> It is important to mention that i can always see grub and Xen logs in both
> serial and VGA device.
> ttyS0 is not present at all in the dmesg.
> # dmesg |grep tty
> [    0.648440] 00:02: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3, base_baud = 115200) is a
> 16550A
> #
>
> Then i have tried out the following
> # serial OK, no vga after XEN multiboot and earlyprintk
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen"
> # serial OK, no vga after XEN multiboot and earlyprintk
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen nomodeset"
> # serial OK, no vga after XEN multiboot and earlyprintk
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 earlyprintk=xen nomodeset vga=791"
>

> # VGA OK, no serial after XEN multiboot  and earlyprintk
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0 console=tty1 earlyprintk=xen"
>

> # VGA OK, no serial after XEN multiboot  and earlyprintk
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=xvc xencons=xvc console=hvc0 console=tty0
> nomodeset earlyprintk=xen"
>
> # VGA OK, no serial after XEN multiboot  and earlyprintk
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="xencons=xvc console=xvc0 console=hvc0 console=tty1
> earlyprintk=xen nomodeset"
>
> Really willing to understand how to get the proper output on both serial and
> VGA.

If you really really want that you can do:

CMD_CMDLINE_LINUX="console=hvc0"

GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="console=com1,vga vga=text-80x60,keep  conswitch=ax
console_to_ring"