Re: [Xen-devel] Xenstore domains and XS_RESTRICT

On 18/01/17 12:08, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 18/01/17 12:39, Wei Liu wrote:

>>> Uuh, no.
>>>
>>> oxenstored does support XS_RESTRICT. The longer it stays the better the
>>> chances someone is using it.
>>>
>> Right. That's what I'm getting at.
>>
>> As a developer I'm in favour of ripping XS_RESTRICT out completely, but
>> as a maintainer I'm a bit uncomfortable with that...
>>
>> If current users are happy with this limiting interface, let them use
>> it.  We just need to provide a better alternative for future users.
> I'm not sure it is a good decision to let them use XS_RESTRICT. It is
> an interface with weird consequences in some cases which are not
> visible until some rare use cases (like hot-plugging a qdisk) are
> effective.
>
>> And even if we want to eventually remove it, we should try our best
>> provide an upgrade path. In this particular case, I think whatever
>> scheme we agree on is going to be a natural upgrade path. We can choose
>> to either keep XS_RESTRICT or remove it after that.
> Today XS_RESTRICT is encapsulated by xs_restrict(). We could keep
> this function and let it return false always. This way XS_RESTRICT
> could be removed without breaking any current users as xs_restrict()
> is returning false with xenstored today.

I don't think XS_RESTRICT is actually used by anyone.

It was added to oxenstored in the dim and distant past, but nothing I
can find in XenServer uses it.  In particular, its intended usecase (for
deprivileging qemu) doesn't work because qemu currently needs access to
dom0 keys to work.

I'd tentatively rip it out.  No point keeping unused broken
functionality around and getting in the way of fixing the problem properly.

~Andrew