Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Device memory mappings for Dom0 on ARM64 ACPI systems

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 07:13:23PM +0000, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 18/01/17 19:05, Stefano Stabellini wrote:
> > >
> > > This is basically the same as b) from Xen's PoV, the only difference is
> > > where
> > > you would call the hypercall from Dom0 to establish stage-2 mappings.
> >
> > Right, but it is important from the Linux point of view, this is why I
> > am asking the Linux maintainers.

> > > This seems fine to me, and at present is the only way to get something
> > > working.
> > > As you said not being able to discover OperationRegions from Xen means
> > > that
> > > there's a chance some MMIO might not be added to the stage-2 mappings.
> > >
> > > Then what's the initial memory map state when Dom0 is booted? There are
> > > no MMIO
> > > mappings at all, and Dom0 must request mappings for everything?
> >
> > Yes
>
> To give more context here, the UEFI memory map does not report all the MMIO
> regions. So there is no possibility to map MMIO at boot.

I've been able to get a Dom0 booting on x86 by mapping all the regions marked
as ACPI in the memory map, plus the BARs of PCI devices and the MCFG areas. But
this is not really optimal, since as Stefano says:

 1. If there are new tables that contain memory regions that should be mapped to
   Dom0, Xen will need to be updated in order to work on those systems.
 2. ATM it's not possible for Xen to know all the OperationRegions described in
   the ACPI DSDT/SSDT tables.

I'm not that worried about 1, since the user will also need a newish Dom0
kernel in order to access those devices, and it doesn't seem like new ACPI
tables appear out of the blue everyday. It however puts more pressure on Xen in
order to aggressively track ACPI changes.

In order to fix 2 an AML parser would need to be added to Xen.

> > > What happens to ACPI tables crafted for Dom0 that reside in RAM? That
> > > would
> > > apply to the STAO and to the other tables that are crafted for Dom0 at
> > > build
> > > time. Should Dom0 also request stage-2 mappings for them, and Xen simply
> > > ignore
> > > those calls?
> >
> > The ACPI (and UEFI) tables are mapped by Xen
>
> I think Royger's point is DOM0 cannot tell whether a region has been mapped
> by Xen or not.
>
> The function ioremap will be used to map anything (it is the leaf of all
> mapping functions), and will call Xen no matter the address passed. It could
> be a RAM region, HW device region, emulated device region.

Exactly, from a guest OS PoV it would request those mappings for all device
memory regions. But from Xen's perspective, those request might be made against
at least 3 different types of p2m regions:

 - Regions trapped by emulated devices inside of Xen: no direct MMIO mapping
   should be established in this case.
 - RAM regions that belong to Xen-crafted ACPI tables (STAO, MADT...).
 - Real MMIO regions that should be passed through.

Right now AFAIK Xen doesn't track any of this information, so we would need
additional non-trivial logic in order to account for all this inside the
hypervisor.

Roger.