Re: [Xen-devel] Possible improvement to Xen Security Response Process

James Bulpin writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Possible improvement to Xen Security
Response Process"):
> On Tue, 2016-12-13 at 08:42, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 12.12.16 at 18:11, <matthew.allen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hmm - this means 6 weeks of latency in the worst case. I don't
> > think that's reasonable.
>
> What if instead we adopted a model similar to Microsoft's "patch
> Tuesday"[1] where there is always one scheduled release/disclosure
> date per month and a second scheduled date two weeks later that is
> used if needed.

If our target emabrgo period is ~14 days, then we should probably have
potential disclosure dates at 2 week intervals.  We could just say
"the Tuesday of an even-numbered week (ISO-8601)".

The rule about trying to avoid widely-observed public holidays would
mean we wouldn't release an advisory on the last Tuesday of the year,
either, so there would not be two consecutive Tuesdays.

> , and the issue is considered to be of significant urgency due
> to its severity, then the fourth Tuesday in the month should be
> considered so long as this allows for a 14 day pre-disclosure
> period" (or something like that).

I agree with Jan that this fuzziness is undesirable.  Also, more
severe vulnerabilities are both more urgent to fix, and also have
worse impact if released before people are ready, so severity is the
wrong measure.  If there is any kind of measure that is relevant it is
difficulty.

I'm writing here mostly with my personal hat, but my security team hat
really dislikes ambiguity like this.  It leads to unclear
decisionmaking and side discussions.

I would like the policy to specify a clear cutoff.  Jan, are you
comfortable with a "default" of between 2 and 4 weeks' embargo,
depending on the timing of the discovery etc. ?  Personally I think a
4 week maximum seems rather long, but with a 2 week cadence that can't
be reduced without also shortening the 2 week minimum.  The range 2-4
weeks seems like a plausible compromise.

If that is acceptable then waiting for the next alternate Tuesday,
such that the embargo period is >=14 days, would work, and we could
write that up as formal wording.

Thanks,
Ian.

--