Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Adding a section to the Xen security policy about what constitutes a vulnerability

>> Jan Beulich writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: Adding a section to the Xen
>> security
>> policy about what constitutes a vulnerability"):
>>> "If a bug requires a vulnerable operating system to be exploitable, the
>>> Xen Security Team will pro-actively investigate the vulnerability of
>>> the following open-source operating systems: Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD,
>>> and NetBSD.  The security team will also test or otherwise investigate
>>> the vulnerability of supported Windows versions, and it may also do so
>>> for some other proprietary operating systems."
>>
>> I don't think we can promise to come up with a definitely conclusion
>> for any proprietary system, can we ?  Answering such a question for
>> Windows is not within our power because we don't have the source code.
>
> Well - see George's original mail, which the above was a reply to.
> He has suggested that there's enough knowledge around.
>
>> The question, which the above text leaves unclear, is, what do we do
>> if we aren't sure whether there are configurations of Windows which
>> have the exposed behaviour.
>
> I think I had given my opinion on this in an earlier mail: If in doubt,
> we ought to issue an advisory.

And my response (in not so many words) was that the statement, “If in doubt we
ought to issue an advisory” is too black-and-white, and (it seems to me) will
probably always result in an advisory being issued; thus making the whole
discussion moot.

But perhaps we’re using the word “doubt” a bit differently.  In the case of
XSA-176 and 192, for instance, would you have said that we had any doubts about
whether Windows was vulnerable?

In any case, I don’t think the text as proposed promises to come up with a
definite conclusion for *any* operating system; what it promises is to “test”
or “investigate”.  I think that is certainly something we should be able to
promise to do.

 -George