Re: [Xen-devel] [early RFC] ARM PCI Passthrough design document

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017, Julien Grall wrote:

> > > Sorry I was not clear here. By hiding, I meant DOM0 not instantiating a
> > > driver (similarly to xen-pciback.hide). We still want DOM0 to access the
> > > PCI
> > > config space in order to reset the device. Unless you plan to import all
> > > the
> > > reset quirks in Xen?
> >
> > I don't have a clear opinion here, and I don't know all thew details of this
> > reset hacks.
>
> Actually I looked at the Linux code (see __pci_dev_reset in drivers/pci/pci.c)
> and there are less quirks than I expected. The list of quirks can be found in
> pci_dev_reset_methods in drivers/pci/quirks.c.
>
> There are few way to reset a device (see __pci_dev_reset), they look all based
> on accessing the configuration space. So I guess it should be fine to import
> that in Xen. Any opinions?

I think it is a good idea: we don't want to end up with a motley
solution with bits and pieces scattered across the system. If we give
Xen ownership over PCI, it should be Xen to do device reset. Thus, it
would be OK to import those functions into the hypervisor.