Re: [Xen-devel] blkfront resource use

On Tue, Feb 07, 2017 at 07:13:57AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 03:53:58AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >> Interestingly I've found
> >> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux.kernel/N6Q171xkIkM
> >> when looking around - is there a reason this or something similar
> >> never made it into the driver? Without such adjustment a single
> >> spike in I/O can lead to a significant amount of grants to be "lost"
> >> in the queue of a single frontend instance.
> >
> > IIRC we didn't go for that solution and instead implemented a limit in
> > blkback
> > that can be set by the system administrator. But yes, it is still possible
> > for
> > a single blkfront instance to use a huge amount of grants, although only
> > temporarily. When the IO spike is done (ie: the bio is done) blkfront should
> > release the grants. If this is a system doing a huge amount of IO the
> > default
> > amount of grant tables pages should probably be increased.
>
> What would enforce that releasing? The driver itself doesn't appear
> to actively do anything here. Is that because the backend would
> limit the number of grants it keeps mapped (which the frontend then
> notices, releasing the grants)?

Yes, see blkif_completion in blkfront (the call to
gnttab_query_foreign_access).

> In the end, any number of grants not used over an extended periods
> of time are a waste of resources. Once again, the situation all this
> came up with was a guest with over a hundred block devices. If for
> every one of them the driver keeps meaningful amount of grants in
> its internal queues, there could (in the default config) be over 100k
> grants no-one can make use of. In the worst case even splitting
> requests may then not help, when enough grants aren't available
> for I/O of just a single sector.

I agree. The best way to solve that AFAIK would be to keep a time stamp of when
a grant was last used, and have a threshold (let's say 5s), if the grant has
not been used for that threshold it should be unmaped by blkback. blkfront
should also have a periodic task that scans the list of grants and releases
those no longer mapped by blkback.

Or maybe we should just disable persistent grants by default, by setting
xen_blkif_max_pgrants = 0. This feature doesn't scale well, and interacts badly
with other things (like indirect descriptors). The amount of code required to
maintain this feature in a sane state is getting quite big.

Roger.