Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.9 Development Update

Hi Wei,

On 30/01/17 15:45, Wei Liu wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 03:32:49PM +0000, Julien Grall wrote:
[...]

I think it would be good to main two lists.  One of "the stuff people
are working on overall", and "the subset of it intended/expected for the
forthcoming release".

Stuff will invariably slip, but even if the work isn't intended for the
forthcoming release, it it still useful to see if anyone in the
community is working on a related topic.

I am thinking to re-introduce the state of a series (none, fair, ok, good,
done) as it was done in the past [1].

"The states are: none -> fair -> ok -> good -> done

none - nothing yet
fair - still working on it, patches are prototypes or RFC
ok   - patches posted, acting on review
good - some last minute pieces
done - all done, might have bugs"

We (I?) ditched them because they weren't that useful.  "None" is just
signalling of intent, which doesn't carry enough of meaningful
information.  "Fair", "ok" and "good" are all subjective -- we've seen
"good" series slipped due to last minute issues.

If we really want status, I would suggest more concrete status:

  design / design.vX -> rfc / rfc.vX -> wip / wip.vX -> committed

These are more tangible and objective.

I agree this is more objective but we loose the time estimation. The number
of revisions sent depends a lot on the contributor, complexity of the
series... So a series tagged wip.v5 might be in better shape of one tagged
wip.v10.

Yes, that's true. I've given up on hoping a certain thing manage to get
in a certain release. This is just how open source software development
works -- upstream has no very limited leverage on what people do. :-)

The value of revision number, imo, is that it objectively indicate if a
project is going on well or not. Say, a project in rfc.v10 or wip.v25 is
definitely alarming -- we (RM and committers) probably need to do
something process-wise to get it back on track.  That probably includes
understanding the issues / disputes between parties, provide
suggestions, mediate and sometimes make difficult decisions on various
issues.

Sounds good to me. I will have a try implementing this on the next iteration.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall