Re: [Xen-devel] [ARM] SMC (and HVC) handling in hypervisor

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > On 13/02/17 16:59, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:

> >> In my usecases it is a strong requirement. What happens when the
> >> monitor system is disabled is beyond my concerns - Xen can emulate or
> >> forward the call as it wishes. But when the monitor application is in
> >> use - in my usecase - it needs to be in exclusive control. If that
> >> breaks an in-guest application, that is acceptable in my usecase. As
> >> soon as there is another usecase that would need to support such an
> >> application while the monitor system is enabled, the monitor system
> >> can be fine-tuned for those needs to allow Xen to emulate. I've said
> >> it many times, I have nothing against doing that, but as I don't need
> >> it I won't be able to spend time implementing it.

Right, as I wrote in the other thread, I think we should be able to find
a way to satisfy Tamas' requirement as well as all the others. Of
course, once you enable the "forward all SMCs to monitor" mode, some of
the other requirements might not be met anymore, but that's acceptable
because they are for different use-cases.

> > Let me remind you that this discussion is not about what you implemented but
> > what is a sensible design to fit everyone. I also never ask you to implement
> > anything.

> >> I disagree. XSM needs to be in complete control of all hypercalls.
> >> Whether denying some of them will break an application or not is not
> >> Xen's concern. That is up to me as a user of Xen and XSM. If Xen
> >> overrides a XSM policy because we hard-coded HVCs that pass-through,
> >> that is a huge security policy violation. So even if we make a list of
> >> HVCs that should also fall under the monitor privileged call umbrella,
> >> it should still not override XSM.

I agree with you on this.

> >> So since I would not be looking to
> >> emulate anything that gets forwarded as a result of an HVC call, XSM
> >> works for me just fine as the only thing I would do anyway is deny
> >> them. So why would that list help when I might as well just make my
> >> list more efficiently using XSM?
> >

> > Again, why do you want to handle SMC and HVC differently given they are both
> > a conduit for Secure Call?
>
> AFAIU HVCs are used for hypercalls. If some HVCs will be used to go
> and issue a firmware call from Xen, it still doesn't change the fact
> that it was a hypercall in the first place. So it should be governed
> by XSM. Am I missing something?

The problem is the following: on some platforms an operating system
might issue a firmware call via HVC instead of SMC. It's outside of our
control. The monitor won't be able to receive that event, because the
infrastructure doesn't allow to forward HVC calls to the monitor. It
might break your use-case.

To properly support firmware calls monitoring, we should make no
distinctions between SMC and HVC, as specified by the SMC calling
convention.

To do this right, we need to be able to specify which SMCs/HVCs get
forwarded to the monitor. Forwarding all SMCs, but no HVCs, is not a
complete solution, although it should work in the vast majority of
cases.

I would put down as a requirement that we want to be able to monitor any
HVC/SMC calls, while accepting the compromise that as an initial
implementation only SMCs can actually be monitored.