[Xen-devel] Network interface change notifications between an ethX and vif?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jeremy Bender <jfbpraxis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:43:00 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:43:13 +0000

I will apologize up front for my ignorance on the topic of 'Xen' since I have just been thrown into it.  My task at hand is to make modifications to the Linux kernel so that when the vif on one VHD connected to the corresponding eth0 on another VHD goes down (ip link set vif1.0 down), eth0 appears to be down as well.

I have assigned a new common function to the function pointer ".ndo_change_carrier" of xennet_netdev_ops defined in xen-netfront.c which simply either calls "netif_carrier_on(dev)" or "netif_carrier_off(dev)".  But my new function never gets called.

Whether or not I assign the same IP to eth0 and the vif or whether I use a bridge makes no difference.

Any help would be appreciated.  Also, the documentation on .ndo_change_carrier is a little terse, if someone could give me a little more detail about when it is actually called would be great.