Re: [Xen-devel] Unable to boot Xen 4.8 with iommu=0

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 02:29:32PM -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 12:27:25PM -0700, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> > <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > . snip..

> > ffff82c000201000

> > > Let me guess, you have an SandyBridge motherboard and were using
> > > Intel AMT?
> >
> > Correct.
> >

> > > I see those all the time on that box (and I think my Haswell
> > > one too). The best I could narrow it down was that the card decided that
> > > certain area should be in the RMRR regions. With Venu/Elen's patch
> > > in (see 431685e8deb660976d8e986c41a647944e410c6c) you should be able
> > > to provide an rmrr paramater to include these addresses.
> >
> > Some more information on how to use that flag would be valuable.. I
> > tried "rmrr=270000000-280000000=00:02.0" to no avail and I really have
> > no idea what I'm doing here =)
>
> CC-ing Elena and Venu who I hope can help you with this.
>
> You may want to provide the full 'xl dmesg' as the 'rmrr' should have
> outputted some details..

Tamas,

While 'xl dmesg' and the output from the serial console will certainly
help, it appears that you may have already provided the info needed. There
may be other devices than 0:02.0 that have problems, but let us assume
that it is the only device.

Your change to xen command line is incorrect. The correct option to add
to the xen command line is:

rmrr=0x277e28=0:00:02.0

For the RMRR specification to work, apart from changing the Xen command
line appropriately, you will also need the corresponding patch applied to
your Xen image. The patch has been pushed upstream, but is only available
in 4.9. Did you backport that change and rebuilt your Xen image with
it? Unless you do that, the Xen command line changes won't work.

Good luck!

Venu