Re: [Xen-devel] [iGVT-g] XenGT GPU virtualization

Hi Konrad,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 10:07:18AM -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 02:25:27AM +0000, Wang, Hongbo wrote:
> > Intel XenGT has another maillist " igvt-g@xxxxxxxxxxxx" to discuss Intel GPU
> > virtualization questions, including XenGT and KVMGT. Feel free to subscribe.
> >
> > Right now, we have two version GVT-g, "old architecture" vs "new
> > architecture for upstream"
> > Old architecture:
> >   - The codes are maintained off-tree, support both XenGT and KVMGT.
> >   - Our latest code is 2016Q3 version in Oct'16, 2016Q4 version is coming
> >    soon due to some open bugs.
> >   - 2016Q3 release blog:
> >
> > https://01.org/igvt-g/blogs/wangbo85/2016/intel-gvt-g-iso-public-release-q32016
> >
> >   - Repo  Kernel: https://github.com/01org/igvtg-kernel
> >          Xen: https://github.com/01org/igvtg-xen
> >          QEMU: https://github.com/01org/igvtg-qemu
> >

> > New architecture for upstream:
> >   - KVMGT version with new VFIO interface have been upstreamed into
> >    kernel 4.10. You can see the code from kernel 4.10, or from our own
> >    GVT-g repo which hosts latest code and bug fixing.
> >   - Repo Kernel:   https://github.com/01org/gvt-linux.git
> >         QEMU:  git://git.qemu.org/qemu.git
> >   - XenGT code upstream is ongoing, not upstreamed. So you can't see
> >    those code yet. We already have a workable XenGT version for upstream,
> >    may share the code after interface polishing.
>
> Could you expand on that please? I thought the ioreq multiple
> servers were the big dependency but it sounds like there is more work?
>
> What is involved here?

You mean the dom0 kernel changes for XenGT right? Basically we need to add a
hypervisor adapter for Xen to work with GVT-g device model. ioreq server code
will be part of that adapter. What Hongbo said is that internally we have such
code for XenGT working, but still need to address some opens for pushing
upstream.

Besides this, XenGT has some Xen hypervisor changes as well mainly related to
IOREQ server.  That part will be pushed upstream first before dom0 kernel
upstream effort. Thanks!

Regards,
-Zhiyuan