Re: [Xen-devel] [GSoC]about the task "Share a page in memory from the VM config file"

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017, Sky Liu wrote:

> > Thank you for your interest in this project and Xen!
> >
> > Firstly, I would recommend to install Xen from source on your test
> > machine. If you don't have a test machine, you could install it on your
> > laptop. Alternatively, Xen on ARM works well on the Cubietruck, also
> > known as Cubieboard 2 [1][2]. Finally, Xen works also well on top of Xen
> > or KVM virtual machines on x86 (nested virtualization), so that would be
> > another way to test it.
> >
> > I fully agree that the best way to get started is by submitting small
> > patches.  We'll get back to you soon with some examples of potential
> > small fixes to do. In the meantime, I encourage you to setup a dev and
> > test environment.
> >

> > [1]
> > https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Allwinner
> > [2]
> > http://www.cubietruck.com/collections/frontpage/products/cubietruck-cubieboard3-cortex-a7-dual-core-2gb-ram-8gb-flash-with-wifi-bt-1
>
> Hi, Stefano Stabellini.
>
> Thanks for getting back to me and sorry for my late reply.
>
> I've already set up the development environment on my ArchLinux
> laptop(ASUS A555L),
>  with the following uname -a:
>      Linux sky-arch 4.9.11-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Feb 19 13:45:52
> UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I've also installed and tested it out, and it works quite normally.
> In order to make things work on ArchLinux,
> I've written two scripts to assist the build and install process.
> (See: https://gist.github.com/blackskygg/2c1f63de6b96f035976dd44aaa39170b).
>
> Hope to hear back from you soon.

That's good to hear. In terms of initial small contributions to get
familiar with Xen, give a look at the list of open issues:

https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/board

most of them are large projects, but some of them are small enough for
an initial contributions, for example, XEN-41 (Allow a default command
line to be embedded in the hypervisor using Kconfig) and XEN-29 (Add
-fstack-protector support to the hypervisor).