Re: [Xen-devel] maybe revert commit c275a57f5ec3 "xen/balloon: Set balloon's initial state to number of existing RAM pages"

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
<konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 04:34:23PM -0400, Dan Streetman wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Boris Ostrovsky
>> <boris.ostrovsky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > IIRC the problem that this was trying to fix was that since max_pfn
>> > includes
>> > holes, upon booting we'd immediately balloon down by the (typically, MMIO)
>> > hole size.
>> >
>> > If you boot a guest with ~4+GB memory you should see this.

>> > I think the second one but shouldn't current_pages be updated, and not the
>> > target? The latter is set by Xen (toolstack, via xenstore usually).
>> >
>> > Also, the bugs above (at least one of them) talk about NVMe and I wonder
>> > whether the memory that they add is of RAM type --- I believe it has its
>> > own
>> > type and so perhaps that introduces additional inconsistencies. AWS may
>> > have
>> > added their own support for that, which we don't have upstream yet.
>>
>> The type of memory doesn't have anything to do with it.
>>
>> The problem with NVMe is it's a passthrough device, so the guest talks
>> directly to the NVMe controller and does DMA with it.  But the
>> hypervisor does swiotlb translation between the guest physical memory,
>
> Um, the hypervisor does not have SWIOTLB support, only IOMMU support.

heh, well I have no special insight into Amazon's hypervisor, so I
have no idea what underlying memory remapping mechanism it uses :)

>> and the host physical memory, so that the NVMe device can correctly
>> DMA to the right memory in the host.
>>
>> However, the hypervisor only has the guest's physical memory up to the
>> max e820 pfn mapped; it didn't expect the balloon driver to hotplug
>> any additional memory above the e820 max pfn, so when the NVMe driver
>> in the guest tries to tell the NVMe controller to DMA to that
>> balloon-hotplugged memory, the hypervisor fails the NVMe request,
>
> But when the memory hotplug happens the hypercalls are done to
> raise the max pfn.

well...all I can say is it rejects DMA above the e820 range.  so this
very well may be a hypervisor bug, where it should add the balloon
memory region to whatever does the NVMe passthrough device iommu
mapping.

I think we can all agree that the *ideal* situation would be, for the
balloon driver to not immediately hotplug memory so it can add 11 more
pages, so maybe I just need to figure out why the balloon driver
thinks it needs 11 more pages, and fix that.