[Xen-devel] Xen 4.9 Development Update

This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
woulk like to see in 4.9 so that people have an idea what is going on and
prioritise accordingly.

You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
working on.

= Timeline =

We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
year. The upcoming 4.9 timeline are as followed:

* Last posting date: March 24th, 2017
* Hard code freeze: April 7th, 2017
* RC1: TBD
* Release: June 2, 2017

Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
that wish to go into 4.9 must be posted no later than the last posting
date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
into next release.

RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.

We recently introduced a jira instance to track all the tasks (not only big)
for the project. See: https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues.

Most of the tasks tracked by this e-mail also have a corresponding jira task
referred by XEN-N.

= Projects =

== Hypervisor ==

*  Per-cpu tasklet
  -  XEN-28
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

*  Add support of rcu_idle_{enter,exit}
  -  XEN-27
  -  Dario Faggioli

=== x86 ===

*  Boot Xen on EFI platforms using GRUB2 (multiboot2 protocol) (v16)
  -  XEN-42
  -  Daniel Kiper

*  Allow ioreq server interface to support XenGT (v7)
  -  XEN-43
  -  Yu Zhang
  -  Paul Durrant

*  PVHv2 support
  -  XEN-44
  -  Roger Pau Monne

*  vNVDIMM support for HVM (RFC)
  -  XEN-45
  -  Haozhong Zhang

*  Completion of the x86 insn emulator (as far as possible)
  -  XEN-46
  -  Jan Beulich

*  Getting guest CPUID handling into a better shape
  -  XEN-47
  -  Andrew Cooper

*  Enable L2 Cache Allocation Technology (v8)
  -  XEN-37
  -  Yi Sun

*  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation (RFC)
  -  XEN-48
  -  Yi Sun

*  Intel LMCE support: (v2)
  -  XEN-68
  -  Haozhon Zhang

=== ARM ===

*  ITS emulation (Dom0 only) (v1)
  -  XEN-2
  -  Andre Przywara

*  Support Tegra SoCs (RFC)
  -  XEN-49
  -  Kyle Temkin

== Toolstack ==

*  Libxl PVSCSI support (v13)
  -  XEN-50
  -  Olaf Hering

*  Libxl depriv QEMU
  -  Ian Jackson

*  Remove blktap2
  -  XEN-8
  -  Wei Liu

== Mini-OS ==

== PV Drivers ==

*  Xen transport for 9pfs
  -  XEN-51
  -  Stefano Stabellini

*  PV calls
  -  XEN-63
  -  Stefano Stabellini

*  Multi-touch
  -  Oleksandr Andrushchenko
  -  Oleksanr Grytsov

*  Sound
  -  Oleksandr Andrushchenko
  -  Oleksanr Grytsov

*  Display
  -  Oleksandr Andrushchenko
  -  Oleksanr Grytsov

== GRUB ==

*  Support booting Xen ARM
  -  XEN-67
  -  Fu Wei

== Testing ==

*  Continuous fuzzing of Xen code using Google oss-fuzz
  -  Wei Liu

== Blocker ==

*  Fix issues with zero-length records in migration v2
  -  XEN-5
  -  Andrew Cooper

== Completed ==

*  Rework gcov support in hypervisor
  -  Wei Liu

*  XenStore XS_DIRECTORY_PART extension
  -  Juergen Gross

== Deferred ==

*  Altp2m for ARM
  -  Sergej Proskurin

= Notes =

* Revert commit 997382b771 or surround the code with NDEBUG before the
  release (see e-mail <58A2EF4E02000078001399F9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>)