Re: [Xen-devel] [Outreachy] Interested in contribution: Code Standards Checking using clang-format

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I started with looking into format of Xen Hypervisor
files and creating a clang format file for the same. However, given the present
implementation of clang-format, it is not possible to incorporate fine-grained
custom coding format requirements. For example, although clang-format provides
a custom brace wrapping format specification, it is still not sufficient to
incorporate the do while loop exception for braces in Xen Hypervisor format.
The implementations is presently on higher layers of abstraction and needs to
be fine grained to allow for different types of loops as well. I figured that
there are two ways of doing it, First , by creating a wrapper over clang-format
and using regexes to find appropriate partitions of code to follow different
format styles. However, this will be rather cumbersome with multiple heuristics
and we will lose the advantage of clang-format tool using the inbuilt parser.
Second way is to extend the functionality of clang-format. I have experience
working with compilers. Going through the code of clang it seems possible to
include kw_do token for do while loop as a functionality for braces wrapping(
although it would require a very thorough reading through the codebase first).
At present, I am working on creating a clang format file supporting subset of
coding formats for Xen Hypervisor.

Can you provide me with some more insight into the project?
clang-format formats the tool to specified format. However, there are many
standards which include a particular format for a variable name. It is not
feasible for a tool to automatically change the name of variable according to
given standards because of possible breaking build of the code. As a part of
the project, are we required to create an auto-formatter or something like
pylint which suggests the necessary changes and gives an overall score, or a
combination of both?

I wish to apply to GSOC as well for the same project. However, since the
deadline is today, I will be grateful if you could provide some suggestions for
the project.

Regards,
Ishani