Re: [Xen-devel] Please apply "partially revert "xen: Remove event channel..."

On 04/10/2017 09:57 AM, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 10/04/17 15:47, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:

>>> No, I don't think so. 4.9 already has the offending commit.
>>
>> Looks like there will be a new version of the original patch
>> (72a9b186292) so we should hold off with backport request to 4.9:
>>
>> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-04/msg01468.html
> TBH: I'm not convinced by the reasoning why 72a9b186292 has to be
> reworked: Do we really care for Xen versions < 4.0 and a theoretical
> problem (after all the author admitted the bug isn't being hit in
> reality due to a short-circuit in the code)?

I don't know what the deal is with <4.0 Xen and I am not sure whether we
can boot new-ish Linux on those releases regardless of this specific
issue. I am certainly only testing Xen 4.1+ and have been doing this for
at least last 2-3 years.

> And even if we do: I'd rather add another patch to stable later than
> keeping a real bug in Linux 4.9 which has been hit at least 3 times
> up to now (by Stefano, George and Ian).

That would depend on how soon the new patch shows up.

-boris