Re: [Xen-devel] Please apply "partially revert "xen: Remove event channel..."

>> The following is meant as a real question without any prejudice:
>>
>> How old a Xen version do we want to support in the Linux kernel?
>>
>> - Only those being still maintained (meaning getting security fixes)

Definitely not this. 4.4 is the oldest version receiving official XSA
patches and it's only 3 years old.

>> - Versions max. X years after getting last security fixes (what value
>>   of X?)
>> - From version Y on (what value of Y?)
>> - All versions which we can think of
>>
>> I think we should answer this question in order to know what we can
>> remove in the Linux kernel without breaking something.
> Ideally, "All versions which we can think of", unless it becomes too
> difficult. In that case, I would switch to "From version Y" where Y is
> not troublesome to support (and older than the oldest supported Xen
> release).

So Oracle, for example, officially supports its virtualization product
for 8 to 10 years.

Which means that 10 years after a product is released it is possible to
see new version of Linux on  such a product (although realistically
vendors may generally support more limited sets of guests).

If we are to follow this line of reasoning Xen 3.4 needs to be supported
--- it was released in 2009.

-boris