Re: [Xen-devel] Notes on stubdoms and latency on ARM

> On May 31, 2017, at 6:45 PM, Stefano Stabellini <sstabellini@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 31 May 2017, George Dunlap wrote:

>>> The stubdom could do polling and avoid interrupts for example, but that
>>> would probably not be desirable.

>>> That's true.
>>
>> Well if they're in a separate security zone, that's not going to work.
>> You have to have a defined interface between things and sanitize inputs
>> between them.
>
> Why? The purpose of EL0 apps is not to do checks on VM traps in Xen but
> in a different privilege level instead. Maybe I misunderstood what you
> are saying? Specifically, what "inputs" do you think should be sanitized
> in Xen before jumping into the EL0 app?

>> Furthermore, you probably want something like a stable
>> interface with some level of backwards compatibility, which is not
>> something the internal hypervisor interfaces are designed for.
>
> I don't think we should provide that. If the user wants a stable
> interface, she can use domains. I suggested that the code for the EL0
> app should come out of the Xen repository directly. Like for the Xen
> tools, they would be expected to be always in-sync.

Hmm, it sounds like perhaps I misunderstood you and Volodymyr.  I took “you
just call function `handle_mmio()` right in the app” to mean that the *app*
calls the *hypervisor* function named “handle_mmio”.  It sounds like what he
(or at least you) actually meant was that the *hypervisor* calls the function
named “handle_mmio” in the *app*?

But presumably the app will need to do privileged operations — change the
guest’s state, read / write MMIO regions, &c.  We can theoretically have Xen
‘just call functions’ in the app; but we definitely *cannot* have the app ‘just
call functions’ inside of Xen — that is, not if you actually want any
additional security.

And that’s completely apart from the whole non-GPL discussion we had.  If you
want non-GPL apps, I think you definitely want a nice clean interface, or
you’ll have a hard time arguing that the resulting thing is not a derived work
(in spite of the separate address spaces).

The two motivating factors for having apps were additional security and non-GPL
implementations of device models / mediators.  Having the app being able to
call into Xen undermines both.

 -George