Re: [Xen-devel] [for-4.9] Re: HVM guest performance regression

On Wed, 7 Jun 2017, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 06/06/17 21:08, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> >> xen_hvm_exit_mmap isn't active (kernel message telling me so was
> >> issued).

> >> The plan was to be able to use PV drivers without having to use PV
> >> callbacks and PV timers. This isn't possible right now.
> >
> > I think the code to handle that scenario was gradually removed over time
> > to simplify the code base.
>
> Hmm, too bad.

> >> Thanks. So you measured the overall package, not the single items like
> >> callbacks, timers, time source? I'm asking because I start to believe
> >> there are some of those slower than their non-PV variants.
> >
> > There isn't much left in terms of individual optimizations: you already
> > tried switching clocksource and removing pv spinlocks. xen_hvm_exit_mmap
> > is not used. Only the following are left (you might want to double check
> > I haven't missed anything):
> >
> > 1) PV IPI
>
> Its a 1 vcpu guest.
>
> > 2) PV suspend/resume
> > 3) vector callback
> > 4) interrupt remapping
> >
> > 2) is not on the hot path.
> > I did individual measurements of 3) at some points and it was a clear win.
>
> That might depend on the hardware. Could it be newer processors are
> faster here?

I don't think so: the alternative it's an emulated interrupt. It's
slower under all points of view.

I would try to run the test with xen_emul_unplug="never" which means
that you are going to end up using the emulated network card and
emulated IDE controller, but some of the other optimizations (like the
vector callback) will still be active.

If the cause of the problem is ballooning for example, using emulated
interfaces for IO will reduce the amount of ballooned out pages
significantly.

> > Slide 14 shows the individual measurements of 4)
>
> I don't think this is affecting my benchmark. It is just munmap after
> all.

I agree.