Re: [Xen-devel] Deployment usage and performance of a network domain

On Mon, 2017-06-12 at 10:18 +0200, Kashyap Thimmaraju wrote:
> > Driver domains and stubdomains are hugely used in contexts
> > targeting really strong security, like Qubes and OpenXT:
> >
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/ http://openxt.org/
> >
> > Qubes targets laptops. I've tried it on mine, which is quite old,
> > and the drop in perf, e.g., wrt a regular (as in, one that does not
> > use virtualization at all) Linux desktop, although present, I don't
> > think it comes too much from the driver domain(s).
> >
> > I haven't run any benchmarks with it, but despite (as I said) the
> > laptop being quite old, the system is definitely usable.
>
> Thanks. I looked for a performance evaluation of such an architecture
> but did not find anything. It would be good to know if there are some
> meaningful numbers.

Well, I don't know of any either, but I have never looked. Fact is,
meaningfulness depends on what each of us needs and actually find
meaningful. So, it's entirely possible that no one has preformed before
the specific evaluation you would like to see...

> The openxt example of having dedicated virtual
> network domains for clients is indeed a good one but I could not find
> any performance evaluation on that. Would you or anybody here happen
> to know where I can find such information? The 2016 summit does not
> have anything on it either.

I think you should:
 - ask them directly,
 - begin considering doing some evaluation yourself. If you do, we're
   definitely interested in seeing what you will find out.

Regards,
Dario