Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: VM Live Migration with Local Storage

On 12/06/17 04:16, Bruno Alvisio wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think it would be beneficial to add local disk migration feature for
> ‘blkback' backend since it is one of the mostly used backends. I would
> like to start a discussion about the design of the machinery needed to
> achieve this feature.
>
> ===========================
> Objective
> Add a feature to migrate VMs that have local storage and use the blkback
> iface.
> ===========================
>
> ===========================
> User Interface
> Add a cmd line option in “xl migrate” command to specify if local disks
> need to be copied to the destination node.
> ===========================
>
> ===========================
> Design
>
>  1. As part of the libxl_domain_suspend, the “disk mirroring machinery”
>     starts an asynchronous job that copies the disks blocks from source
>     to the destination.
>  2. The protocol to copy the disks should resemble the one used for
>     memory copy:
>
>   * Do first initial copy of the disk.
>   * Check of sectors that have been written since copy started. For
>     this, the blkback driver should be aware that migration of disk is
>     happening and in this case forward the write request to
>     the “migration machinery” so that a record of dirty blocks are logged.
>   * Migration machinery copies “dirty” blocks until convergence.

Be careful with that. You don't really want to merge block and memory
live migrations. They should be linked but proceed independently since
we don't want to have the last iteration of memory transfer stalled
waiting for disk convergence. Some mix of pre-copy and post-copy
approach might be suitable.

Igor