Re: [Xen-devel] race in vif-common.sh

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 18:49:47 +0200, George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry, I think that this patch is just far to complicated. If you really want to keep the "iptables is working check" (lines 1-7 of function handle_iptable) then you should just move it inside the claim_lock "iptables" section and you won't need any -w option and no iptables_w() check.
That assumes that vif-common.sh is the only thing on the system that ever calls iptables (since even simply querying the tables wants to grab the lock). I’m afraid that’s not a very good assumption to make.

Hmm, I see your point but that boils down to a total different question that has nothing to do with Xen: should iptables have "-w" as a default? Somehow the current state (-w is not a default) seems to work for most people/cases.

Regards Andreas