Re: [Xen-devel] linux-arm-xen branch, commit access, etc.

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 03:34:40PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Currently we are running our ARM tests in osstest off a branch in
> > Stefano's personal Linux tree.  This is a bit unsatisfactory.
> >
> > We would like to switch to a branch that Julien can push to too, and
> > that is in a more official place.
> >
> > There are two options:
> >
> >  1. Create an ARM-specific Xen tree.  Currently we don't have many
> >     ARM-specific trees but I don't see a problem with this.  So
> >     we could create
> >         /arm/linux.git
> >     on xenbits.
> >
> >  2. Use a branch name within /linux-pvops.git, the main Linux
> >     tree on xenbits.  This would mean making Julien a committer.
>
> 3. Use upstream released kernels. Follow them when they are released.

I agree with Konrad. The reason why that branch is there is that
initially we needed a couple of patches to run Linux on Exynos5 boards
(Arndale). Today, vanilla releases should work. For example, 4.13 has
everything we need as far as I can tell. I think it is time to remove
the special branch.

If it turns out that we still need a special branch (I don't think we
do), then 1. is a good option.

> > What do people think would be best ?
> >
> > Also, separately, surely Julien should be listed in MAINTAINERS for
> > the Xen ARM stuff in upstream Linux ?  He doesn't seem to be at least
> > in the version I have lying about here...

No, that is correct, at the moment I am the only maintainer for Xen on
ARM support in Linux. I'll talk to Julien but the attention it requires
is very limited.  Patches specific to arch/arm/xen and arch/arm64/xen/
are very few, in the order of 10 in the last year. It doesn't
necessarily need more than one maintainer.