Re: [Xen-devel] Is that possible to merge MBA into Xen 4.10?

Hi all,

>> As you may know, MBA patch set has got enough Reviewed-by/Acked-by in last
>> week.
>> It is ready to be merged.
>>
>> This is a feature for Skylake, Intel has launched Skylake and KVM already
>> supported MBA, so including it in Xen 4.10 will quickly fill this gap.
>>
>> MBA missed the 4.10 feature freeze date for only a few days due to lack of
>> timely review for earlier versions which slowed down the patch iteration
>> notably.
>> It seems maintainers are very busy recently so that the review progress for
>> 4.10
>> is slower than before. So I am wondering if it is possible to merge it into
>> 4.10?
>>
>> This patch set mainly touches codes related to PSR in
>> tools/domctl/sysctl/hypervisor.
>> It does not touch other features. So, the risk is low to merge it.
>
> While I agree the risk is low, I think we should not start making
> exceptions from the "no freeze exceptions" rule. Even less so
> for a secondary (or should I pull out my favorite "niche" again?)
> feature like this one. But in the end it's Julien's call., of course.

I think there are a number of separate issues concerns, which are somewhat
orthogonal:

a) Sticking to the rules
I think in some cases where a few days have been missed, we should have enough
flexibility to bend the rules.
In fact, if say a crucial part of PVHv2 missed the deadline by a few days, we
would probably bend the rules.

Of course whether something is a "niche" feature is in view of the beholder.

b) Risk
This is something which is clearly important.

c) PR Perspective
I am somewhat concerned that we do not have a lot of stuff for good media
coverage for Xen 4.10

This is a relatively small release: from what I can see we have approximately
only around 235 patch series (4.9 had 481, 4.8 had 575)
Admittedly the number of patches in 4.10 is quite high: approx 1707 patches
(with 1549 in 4.9 and 1245 in 4.8)
A lot of it seems to be groundwork for 4.11 (or even 4.12)

Besides PVHv2, we don't have a lot of big marketable new stuff which would
enable us to get press quotes.
Admittedly, I have not put a list of marketable features together yet.
A feature such as MBA, would help from a PR perspective.

But ultimately this is going to be Julien's call.

Regards
Lars