Re: [Xen-devel] ce56a86e2a ("x86/mm: Limit mmap() of /dev/mem to valid physical addresses"): kernel BUG at arch/x86/mm/physaddr.c:79!

On 26/10/17 19:49, Craig Bergstrom wrote:
> Sander, thanks for the details, they've been very useful.
>
> I suspect that your host system's mem=2048M parameter is causing the
> problem.  Any chance you can confirm by removing the parameter and
> running the guest code path?

I removed it, but kept the hypervisor limiting dom0 memory to 2046M intact (in
grub using the xen bootcmd:
"multiboot       /xen-4.10.gz  dom0_mem=2048M,max:2048M ....."

Unfortunately that doesn't change anything, the guest still fails to start with
the same errors.

> More specifically, since you're telling the kernel that it's high
> memory address is at 2048M and your device is at 0xfe1fe000 (~4G), the
> new mmap() limits are preventing you from mapping addresses that are
> explicitly disallowed by the parameter.

Which would probably mean the current patch prohibits hard limiting the dom0
memory to a certain value (below 4G)
at least in combination with PCI-passthrough. So the only thing left would be
to have no hard memory restriction on dom0
and rely on auto-ballooning, but I'm not a great fan of that.

I don't know how KVM handles setting memory limits for the host system, but
perhaps it suffers from the same issue.

I also tried the patch from one of your last mails to make the check "less
strict",
but still get the same errors (when using the hard memory limits).

--
Sander