Re: [Xen-devel] [BUG] Error applying XSA240 update 5 on 4.8 and 4.9 (patch 3 references CONFIG_PV_LINEAR_PT, 3285e75dea89, x86/mm: Make PV linear pagetables optional)

>>> On 15.11.17 at 23:48, <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having trouble applying the patch 3 from XSA240 update 5 for xen
> stable 4.8 and 4.9
> xsa240 0003 contains:
>
> CONFIG_PV_LINEAR_PT
>
> from:
>
> x86/mm: Make PV linear pagetables optional
> https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commitdiff;h=3285e75dea89afb0ef5
> b3ee39bd15194bd7cc110
>
> I cannot find this string in an XSA, nor is an XSA referenced in the
> commit.
> Am I missing a patch, or doing something wrong?

Well, you're expected to apply all patched which haven't been
applied so far. In particular, in the stable version trees, the 2nd
patch hasn't gone in yet (I'm intending to do this later today),
largely because it (a) wasn't ready at the time the first patch
went in and (b) it is more a courtesy patch than an actual part of
the security fix.

> xsa240-4.9 0002 and  3285e75dea "x86/mm: Make PV linear pagetables
> optional" conflict as is.

Oh, that's rather unfortunate. The patch (all versions, including
the master one) is stale. A proper backport of 3285e75dea
("x86/mm: Make PV linear pagetables optional") is needed instead.
Please see the backports I'm intending to commit later today.

> xsa240-4.9 0003 applies after 3285e75dea "x86/mm: Make PV linear
> pagetables optional"
>
> Could we also refer to the third patch in the XSA resolution section
> please?

Hmm, I see the text doesn't mention that new patch; the list of
patches (with their sha256 sums) includes it though, which I think
is good enough.

Jan