Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] [Draft Design v2] ACPI/IORT Support in Xen.

On 11/16/2017 5:23 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
Hi Manish,

On 16/11/17 11:46, Manish Jaggi wrote:

On 11/16/2017 5:07 PM, Julien Grall wrote:

On 16/11/17 07:39, Manish Jaggi wrote:
On 11/14/2017 6:53 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
3. IORT for Dom0
-----------------
IORT for Dom0 is based on host iort. Few nodes could be removed or modified.
  For instance
- Host SMMU nodes should not be present as Xen should only touch it.
- platform nodes (named components) may be controlled by xen command line.

I am not sure where does this example come from? As I said, there are no plan to support Platform Device passthrough with ACPI. A better example here would removing PMCG.

It came from review comments on my previous IORT SMMU hiding patch. Andre suggested that Platform Nodes are needed.

After some brainstorming with Julien we found two problems:
1) This only covers RC nodes, but not "named components" (platform
devices), which we will need. ...

From: https://www.mail-archive.com/xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg123434.html

I think you misunderstood my comment here... What I call "device passthrough" is giving access to a device to a domain other than the Hardware Domain

There are no plan for supporting platform device-passthrough on ACPI and I don't understand why you would like to control that using the command line.

What Andre was saying is your series was not covering the "named components" for the Hardware Domain.

The section 3 is IORT for Dom0, where I mentioned that  some platform devices can be hidden from dom0. So your comment on Platform device Passthrough might not be valid then as it is for domU's only.

Regarding the visibility of a platform device for dom0, I took cue from your comment below

Where did I ever mention the command line solution? Please stop trying to put words in my mouth.

There are other reason than passthrough to hide device from the Hardware Domain.

Lets put some clarity on the below items specifically for dom0
a. can platform devices can be part of dom0 IORT ?
b. If (a) yes, then how to decide on a finer grain the visibility of platform devices for Dom0
    Update ACPI tables to remove the device?
c. Is fine grain visibility of platform device for dom0 to be covered in my current patchset

This has two benefits:

3) We could decide in a finer grain which devices (e.g platform device)Dom0 can see. From: https://www.mail-archive.com/xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg124534.html

Cheers,