Re: [Xen-devel] How to make tracking CPU cache-miss on Xen?

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 5:59 AM, Minjun Hong <nickeysgo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello, I'm working on the 'credit scheduler' of Xen.
> And I need to compare CPU cache misses between original Xen and my patching
> version.
> But I failed all attempt even if I have tried many methods by googling.
> When I typed 'perf list' with my 'perf' compiled by source code in the
> current kernel source code, it said:
>
>> nickeys@nickeys-linux-machine:~/ubuntu/tools/perf$ ./perf list
>> List of pre-defined events (to be used in -e):
>>   msr/pperf/                                         [Kernel PMU event]
>>   msr/smi/                                           [Kernel PMU event]
>>   msr/tsc/                                           [Kernel PMU event]
>>   power/energy-cores/                                [Kernel PMU event]
>>   power/energy-gpu/                                  [Kernel PMU event]
>>   power/energy-pkg/                                  [Kernel PMU event]
>>   power/energy-psys/                                 [Kernel PMU event]
>>   power/energy-ram/                                  [Kernel PMU event]
>>   rNNN                                               [Raw hardware event
>> descriptor]
>>   cpu/t1=v1[,t2=v2,t3 ...]/modifier                  [Raw hardware event
>> descriptor]
>>    (see 'man perf-list' on how to encode it)
>>   mem:<addr>[/len][:access]                          [Hardware breakpoint]
>> nickeys@nickeys-linux-machine:~/ubuntu/tools/perf$
>

> Since there is no HW event in contrast with native environment, I should try
> 'Raw hardware event descriptor' option.
> According to 'Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manual
> Volume 3B: System Programming Guide', I used 'r412e' raw hardware event to
> get LLC Misses which is in '18.2.1.2 Pre-defined Architectural Performance
> Events' section of the guide,
> but I found out my 'perf' does not support the feature:
>
>> nickeys@nickeys-linux-machine:~/ubuntu/tools/perf$ sudo ./perf stat -e
>> r412e sleep 1
>>  Performance counter stats for 'sleep 1':
>>    <not supported>      r412e
>>        1.002120111 seconds time elapsed
>> nickeys@nickeys-linux-machine:~/ubuntu/tools/perf$
>

>  I could not understand why I cannot find out the number of cache-misses.
> When I did googling, I did not think there would be a problem because there
> were a lot of posts to get cache-misses in the Xen environment.

It sounds like what you might want is the vPMU functionality.  CC'ing
Boris Ostrovsky, who has worked on vPMU functionality before.

However, are you sure that you want to be reading cache misses from
the guest?  It seems like that is *probably* OK, but another option
would be to instrument Xen to read and provide that information.

 -George