Re: [Xen-devel] Xen release cycle revisited

On Tuesday, 19 December 2017 10:44:04 PM AEDT George Dunlap wrote:

> >> 5. Go to a yearly release cycle, with June as expected release date.
> >> At the risk of (still) being the only one to dislike the 6-month cycle,
> >> I have to say that there, at the moment, being 4 actively maintained
> >> stable branches and 6 security maintained ones is - just like I did
> >> anticipate back when we discussed the shortening of the cycle - a
> >> significant burden. And we haven't even reached the point yet
> >> where all security maintained branches are from the 6-month cycle.
> >
> > I've gotta agree here - I've already been skipping releases to keep up.
> > 4.8
> > was a complete non-starter for me, and 4.10 might be the same. Its
> > exhausting.
> FWIW the CentOS Virt SIG had already decided to only consider updating
> every other release, back when the release cadence was 9 months (leaving
> a year and a half between upgrades).

Understandable.

> But of course, that's in part  because CentOS is meant to be "stodgy and
> reliable".  Fedora and Ubuntu, for instance, have 6-month release
> cycles.  It looks like Ubuntu 17.10 has Xen 4.9 in it; and there's no
> reason to think Ubuntu 18.04 LTS won't have 4.10 in it.

Agreed - but things like Fedora evolve pretty rapidly. I'm not sure Xen is in
the same rapid development model - so I don't think we should follow suit in
this. It would be more than reasonable to have, say, Xen 4.10.0 in one version
of Fedora - and 4.10.2 in the next...

> Steven, when I glanced at your site it looked like you're actively
> supporting all versions of Xen you've ever released -- is that right?
> If so it's a lot more work than I think anyone else is doing. :-)

Correct. The only versions I don't support are EOL'ed versions and 4.8 - which
I skipped due to workload.

This means the current build list is 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.9 for both EL6 and EL7.

4.2 and 4.4 got EOL'ed a while back and I don't make them available anymore.

If I didn't miss a 4.8 and already had 4.10 out the door, then I'd be
publishing 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, 4.9 and 4.10. I'm not sure if that's feasible
for anyone - let alone how it'd be managed effectively by the security team!

For me personally, December release dates for builds is horrible - so its
likely just about any December release would be on the ignore list - hence I
feel a single yearly release in July (+/- up to 2 months) would be fine as a
target.

--
Steven Haigh

📧 netwiz@xxxxxxxxx       💻 http://www.crc.id.au