Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-users] Network and SATA Instability on Xen 4.6/4.8

Hello, Kevin, all,

> Given the state gets me to a point where I can't log into the server
> directly any longer, what's the best way to obtain the debug key output
> at that point? I have access to IPMI with video and serial outputs.

IPMI is good, you can use SOL (Serial Over Lan) with it.

You can use following (providing my servers options as example, adapt as you need):
1. in Xen cmdline on server (default SOL config for Supermicro - COM2) add:

conring_size=51200K loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all iommu=1,verbose com2=115200,8n1 console=com2,vga console_timestamps=datems

It's especially useful, if you compiled XEN with "debug=y". "datems" in console time stamps is also good, making logs more human-readable ;)

2. For Linux kernel, add:

earlyprintk=xen console=hvc0

That allows both Linux kernel messages and console output on same SOL (enable hvc0 as securetty first, if it's not default in your distro).

3. And from other Linux system, run ipmitool like below:

ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.100.32 -U ADMIN -P ADMIN sol activate

This is example for Supermicro. For ASUS/Gigabyte/Intel IPMI implementations, you may need to adjust the way, ipmitool is started. ADMIN/ADMIN - default Supermicro login/password and 192.168.200.32 - IP address of my server's BMC (IPMI), use yours instead.

IPMI tool usually provided as package with same name in many Linux distros.

While IMPI tool is running, reboot the server. You will be able to use both BIOS setup, GRUB menu (if set to use console, rather than graphics) and Linux console from SOL. And perfect thing is that you have all logs as text, which can be selected in terminal and copied to your favorite text editor for further processing.

--
Regards,
  Alexander Dubinin

PS: Sorry for possible multiple mails - something broken with my other mail SPF settings in Google Apps...